Monday 27 August 2012




Do some people thrive on negativity?

Have people forgotten how to be positive? I did an experiment recently, in the Doctors waiting room, of all places. Bear with me not as off the wall as it sounds. It’s as good a place as any. You know, there’s the awkward silence, and then someone makes eye contact or starts a general conversation that you feel obliged to respond to. Typically Irish, the weather came up as the topic of conversation. I decided to take part in this conversation but when someone said something negative I consciously hit it with a positive. It went something like this:

Man:                     “Oh does the rain ever stop.”

Me:                        No it’s Ireland, of course it doesn’t stop, that is why we have forty shades of green, I thought but replied: “Well, at least it will make my herb and vegetables grow.”

Man:                     “Hmm, makes the weeds grow too though.”

Woman:              “Oh you’re right never stops, it would get you down."

Me:                        “Liz Hurley says she is jealous of our soft climate, makes for the rights conditions for better skin.”

Woman:              “That’s, until the central heating dries it out.”

Me:                        “Plenty of water to be drunk. It’s good to get out in it though, fresh air, regardless of the weather.”

Woman:              “You’d get drenched.”

Me:                        “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad rain proof clothes. They are worth investing in.”

Man:                     “How long will we be waiting, I wonder.” Both shrug.

Me:                        “Ah, the waiting gives us a chance to chat and get to know each other.”

I wasn’t giving up and after my last statement I gave them both a big smile. The man’s response was to look at me weirdly and seemed relieved to be called in by the doctor and the woman discontinued the conversation. A new person came in. The above mentioned woman went onto talk about the road deaths to date, I kid you not. So back to my question, do some people just thrive on negativity? Have people forgotten how to be positive?

All I tried was a bit of positivity to which I got continued negative responses. I won’t give up though. Random strangers don’t be afraid to talk to me. I might say something to brighten your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment